The following are taken from the declassified
histories of the 3080th Aviation Depot Group, Caribou Air Force Station, Maine
for the period 1 July - 31 December 1956.
At present, this is the only document in my possession from that Station.
Notice the photos of new construction under the Installations section. It
is to be noted that this entire period's report is only about 36 pages, compared
to the 3084th Aviation Depot Group's approximately 271 pages. An
interesting and puzzling difference! Also, there is no DOE redactions in
any of the sections.
The revision to the Unit Manning Document was received during October with an effective date of 1 November 1956. This revised directive, covering reorganization of the 3080th Aviation Depot Group, included several changes over previous manning and prescribed an overall decrease of 150 military personnel spaces consisting of 23 officers and 127 airmen. Most of the losses were in the Operations Squadron, which lost 16 officer and 52 airman spaces. A completely new Unit Manning Document, encompassing the previously arrived revision, was subsequently received and disseminated to subordinate units and staff sections. This was the first completely new Unit Manning Document received since May 1955.
Return of personnel specialists (Morning Report Clerks), previously authorized in subordinate units, to the Group Personnel Office, is a welcome change in that the previous arrangement had not proven entirely satisfactory. These personnel specialists were hindered in receiving adequate upgrade training in their career field by being removed from the direct supervision of Group Personnel Office supervisors and technicians qualified to instruct in all facets of the military personnel career field. To compensate for any possible lack of training these personnel specialists were entered into an accelerated training program with a view of their attaining full qualifications in a minimum of time.
The services of Major Clyde G. Miller were lost to the Group Personnel Office in early August upon his departure for Syracuse University to complete studies under "Operation Bootstrap". Warrant Officer (W-1) Elwood Slaughter arrived from Robins Air Force Base, Georgia, a few days prior to Major Miller's departure and, with a minimum of orientation, assumed duties as Group Personnel Officer. Mr. Slaughter brings with him a wealth of experience in the military personnel field in that he previously served as a personnel Sergeant Major prior to his appointment as a Regular Warrant Officer early last year. Hopes for an officer to fill the space vacated by Major Miller appear very dim in that no forecast of a replacement has been received.
Two projects completed during the reporting period were those of effecting procurement of Social Security Account Numbers for all not already possessing account numbers, along with recording of account numbers for all personnel on appropriate records. In addition, appropriate forms were submitted to the Veterans' Administration for all personnel who had possessed either National Service Life or United States Government Life Insurance.
During two airman promotion cycles between 1 July and 31 December 1956, this organization received a total quota for promotion of airmen as follows: To Master Sergeant - 1; to Technical Sergeant - 2; to Staff Sergeant - 21; to Airman First Class - 36; and to Airman Second Class -34. Two Staff Sergeants (AFSC 29150 and AFSC 36231) were promoted against command wide vacancies during the December promotion cycle. A major portion of the promotions, during both promotion cycles, went to the Operations Squadron by reason of the fact that no freeze restrictions existed in the two career fields predominating in that organization, whereas both the Support Squadron and the Security Squadron were faced with either USAF or AMC restrictions. The continued restrictions on promotions in certain career fields are slowly becoming a morale factor, in that individuals concerned are becoming dissatisfied with the USAF and are attempting to change career fields and/or be separated from the service since there appears to be no future in their present career fields.
During the period 1 July through 31 December 1956, normal tours expired for 101 airmen, of which 20 reenlisted to fill their own vacancies. Nineteen airmen availed themselves of the opportunity of being separated and immediately reenlisted after completing half or more-of their previous enlistment along with three airmen resigning from indefinite status for the purpose of reenlisting for specified periods. Six airmen chose early outs for the purpose of attending or re-entering college. Early outs for Christmas totaled 11 people. Only a limited number of airmen were reenlisted for a base of choice since only a few of those separated during this period qualified with a FSSD within 18 months of their date of separation.
During the reporting period, a total of 129 personnel were gained to the organization while 169 military were lost. As of 31 December 1956, assigned strength was 70 officers, 505 airmen and 82 civilians. Airmen strength figures will be greatly reduced over the next two months in that projected overseas withdrawals far exceed projected replacements. The Operations Squadron will be reduced by a high rate of separations during the succeeding six months and it is estimated that all subordinate units will be reduced to the current manning authorization by 30 June 1957.
During the period 1 July - 31 December 1956, there were 54 Officer Effectiveness Reports rendered on officers assigned to this station. One officer was promoted from First Lieutenant to Captain, seven from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant, and one Master Sergeant was appointed to the grade of Warrant Officer (W-1). Three officers were upgraded to AFSC 7724. This station gained 22 officers who were technically trained at Lowry AFB, Colorado, two officers from overseas assignments, and three officers from other ZI assignments. This station lost eight officers through reassignment overseas, ten officers to ZI assignments, and eight were released from EAD.
Classification activity was fairly brisk as indicated by the following testing and upgrading actions;
Test Administered Failed Passed
AFJKT's 19 3 16
AQE's 11 3 6
Only three of the 55 APT's passed fell in Category "B", requiring Board action and/or additional On-the-Job Training prior to awarding of AFSC.
Upgrading actions were as follows; Board Action - 16; Routine - 46.
Ten requests for Project Guidance were submitted to higher authority during the reporting period. Of this number, six requests were approved and four requests are still pending.
Finance activity remained fairly stable and required the full time services of one airman in processing 299 allotments and 420 military pay orders, along with incidental correspondence. Although 268 less military pay orders are processed during this reporting period, the number of individual actions taken care of exceeded those of the previous period due to recording multiple entries on each military pay order rather than individual actions. This has proven a considerable saving in time, effort and supply of blank forms. Processing of travel vouchers averaged approximately 15 per week. Class "N" allotment authorizations, almost non-existent for the past several years, entered the picture during late December when replies to inquiries made previously to the Veterans' Administration relative to NSLI and USGLI began to arrive and the insured personnel resumed payment of premiums. All VA notifications are given immediate attention even though most insurance premiums are not required to be resumed before March or April.
Activities of the Educational Services Section increased slightly over the last reporting period as evidenced by the following:
GED Tests: 133 (89 HS level and 44 College level)
Enrollments in USAFI: 31 (HS, College and Technical courses)
Enrollments in ECI: 22 (OCS and specialized courses)
Off duty classes: 5 (enrolled at Limestone High School)
Special Services activities encompassed the following:
Baseball: The Caribou Indians played a schedule of 20 games, of which approximately 50 per cent were played on the Caribou Air Force Station diamond, which is considered one of the finest in this area. The team placed second in the Southern Division of the North Aroostook Baseball League.
Basketball: The basketball league is now under way with four teams participating in a four round robin series with each team playing one game per week. There are approximately 32 participants and at the end of league play, the four teams will participate in a double elimination tournament for the Base Championship.
Softball: seven teams played 36 games and approximately 77 persons participated in this sport. The Communications Section of the Support Squadron won the League and Base Championship and was presented with the Station Commander's Trophy.
Bowling: The Base Bowling League is now in the second round of bowling. Since our new gymnasium does not include bowling facilities, all games are played at the alleys of the adjacent Loring Air Force Base. There are approximately 96 bowlers participating in the double round (22 weeks) of bowling. At the end of league play, the top four teams with the most number of wins will roll off for the Base Championship.
On 12 December 1956, Major John D. Roy, Jr., reported for duty with the 3080th aviation Depot Group. His immediate duty assignment was "Director of Quality Control". Captain Gordon R. Reuell, formerly the Director of Quality Control, is anticipating reassignment in the near future and is currently occupying the position of Nuclear Weapons Officer.
In addition to Major Roy, the following named personnel were assigned to the Quality Control Directorate during the six month period ending 31 December 1956: Captain Joseph L. Jarvis, 1/Lt Joe I. Rivera, Jr., 1/Lt Judson C. Faurer, 1/Lt Edward Bracey, Jr., 1/Lt Franklin D. Burdette, 1/Lt Charles L. Freer, 1/Lt James S/Sgt William R. Dieter, S/Sgt Thomas Neave, and Mrs. Mary P. Tyrrell.
During this same six month period the following personnel were transferred from the Quality Control Directorate: Captain Walter J. Henderson, Jr., 1/Lt Lawrence D. Haworth, M/Sgt Charles Couillard, S/Sgt John L. Garcia, and A/3C Donald E. Hull.
The revised Unit Manning Document authorizes a total strength of eight officers, four airmen and two civilians; a total of 14 people.
As of 31 December, the actual strength of the Directorate was 13 officers, four airmen and one civilian; a total of 18 people. These overages were justified in anticipation of the early release from service and/or the expected transfer of several assigned officers.
During the third week of November the Office of the Quality Control Directorate was transferred from the basement of Headquarters building to the Communications-Operations building within the "Q" Area. This transfer has proven to be extremely successful in that it has offered the personnel of the Directorate a highly improved working environment, has placed the Directorate within easy walking distance of the Plants, and has furnished ample working area to compensate for the increased strength of the section.
The official starting date of the Quality Assurance Program at Site Easy was 11 August 1956. The AEC Technical Representative was in place prior to 1 July 1956. The Quality Assurance Inspection activity occupied one half of Plant II until about 1 November 1956. This situation was not satisfactory to either the Quality Assurance Inspection activity or to the military occupying the Plant. However, all problems were amicably solved. Quality Assurance Inspection took possession of the "S" Structure about 1 November 1956. At this time, space problems and the air of instability was removed from this inspection activity.
Many minor problems arose during the initial stages of the Quality Assurance program. However, thorough coordination by all agencies: Quality Control, Sandia Corporation and AEC solved these problems equitably. A major problem that was recognized and solved was that of introducing Technical Order changes into the inspection process. It was agreed by all agencies that Technical Order changes should not be implemented as Inspection criteria on a lot of material undergoing either Military Storage inspection or Quality Assurance Inspection processing unless the change was important.
The UMD as originally received contained authorization for two supply inspectors, AFSC 64172. The latest UMD deleted these AFSC's. A maintenance inspector (T/Sgt, 33170) is authorized and is used to cover the Special Weapons supply monitoring responsibility. T/Sgt Reynolds has been assigned this responsibility. All MC items requiring a functional test have been included in a comprehensive testing program using TOC status to identify items in various statuses of inspection.
A Materials Review Board was established in August 1956. Members of this Board are the Director of Quality Control, Project Engineer and the AEC Technical Representative. This Board monitors the status of rejected material to determine: reparability, factors that are causing rejections, i.e., workmanship, etc., status of repair and salvage program, that material is analyzed expeditiously and status is made and reflected on status cards on material expeditiously. The Board meets on a monthly basis.
Quality Control Bulletin: This bulletin is published on a weekly basis for the purpose of disseminating technical information to all interested agencies. Source of material for this bulletin is as follows: Unsatisfactory Report answers, FLIB's, Special Weapons Supply Bulletins, and results of procedures Review Board meetings.
The Group Training Office is concerned primarily with On-the-Job Training and General Military Training for the station. During the reporting period this office was given the additional responsibility of procuring all training quotas and more closely monitoring the technical training program. During the period 80 airmen were placed on OJT and 65 airmen were upgraded.
The following General Military Training subjects were given to personnel assigned to this station: Commander's Call, Character Guidance, Security Indoctrination, Code of Conduct, Chemical Warfare, Radiological Warfare, Psychological Warfare, Ground Safety and make-up period of Arms Familiarization. Average participation in scheduled General Military Training for second half of 1956 was 87 per cent of personnel present for duty.
period some personnel changes were made. Captain Richard E. Bowers replaced
Captain Carl E. Torkelson in November 1956. Captain Torkelson departed for
overseas assignment. M/Sgt Robert L. Brooks was reassigned to the 3080th
Operations squadron in September 1956. A/3C Donald J. Dussault, Jr., was
attached to this section in October 1956 as administrative Clerk to replace A/2C
David L. Wormuth, who departed for overseas assignment.
On 7 November 1956, Captain Carl E. Torkelson was replaced as Ground Safety Officer by Captain Richard E. Bowers.
The educational phase of the Ground Safety program conducted during the reporting period consisted of the following: Six classes of the 16 hour base-level Ground Safety course, from which 88 military personnel were graduated, including three officers. Average class attendance was 15 students per class, and the class average score for the reporting period was 91 per cent out of a possible 100 per cent, a gain of 3 per cent over the previous six months. At the present time 98 per cent of eligible personnel assigned to this station are graduates of the course. Safety posters were changed periodically during the reporting period. Articles on safety subjects were published in local base and civilian publications from time to time. Our practice of one hour safety orientation for all incoming personnel and our safety briefing for all departing personnel was continued. Two Ground Safety inspections were conducted during the reporting period, and unsatisfactory conditions found were corrected, most of them on the spot.
Close coordination was maintained during the reporting period with Loring Air Force Base Office of Safety, local police officials and Maine State Police, in order to evaluate, coordinate and solve any mutual problems that might arise concerning traffic safety.
During the reporting period 10 airmen from Caribou Air Force Station were given a special course of instruction for using the Ramset Fastening system. The course was conducted by Mr. R. F. Woodman, a representative of Field Machinery, Inc., Cambridge 42, Massachusetts. The training was conducted at Loring Air Force Base in the Main Conference Room of the 42D Air Installations Office.
During the reporting period there were 12 first aid injuries and four military disabling injuries. There were no fatalities. Eight man-days were lost as a result of the four military disabling injuries.
There was one United States Air Force motor vehicle accident and two property damage type accidents. Grand total cost of all ground accidents during the reporting period was $543. This is considerably lower than the previous six months, wherein the grand total cost of all ground accidents was $33,636.
Military disabling injury rate during the reporting period was 3.63. United States Air Force motor vehicle accident rate was 0.39. Private motor vehicle accident rate was 1.82.
3080th SECURITY SQUADRON
As of 1 July 1956, six officers and 209 airmen were assigned to this squadron. The authorized strength of the squadron at this time was 164 personnel. As of 31 December 1956, the squadron had five officers and 149 airmen. The authorized strength as of 31 December 1956 was 134 personnel.
The squadron received a Joint AMC - AEC Security Inspection during the period 5 thru 9 November 1956. A satisfactory report was given and no discrepancies were noted.
Personnel changes in key positions were also made during the past six months. 1/Lt Craig H. Adamson, who was promoted from 2/Lt in November 1956, replaced 1/Lt Everett N. Baldwin as Air Police Operations Officer and Chief of Physical Security Division. Lt Baldwin was named Deputy Director of Security upon the departure of Captain Joseph G. O'Hara in August 1956. M/Sgt Raymond H. Vedder was made Provost Sergeant, replacing M/Sgt Fred J. Smith, who transferred to Germany.
The following changes took place in the Physical Security Division from 1 July thru 31 December 1956:
The Air Police Operations Office was moved from Guard Headquarters to the new Communications-Operations building. At the same time the Alert Flight was moved from Dormitory #3 to Guard Headquarters. Beds were placed in the two rear offices. This arrangement accommodates 13 personnel. A television set and coffee bar have been placed in the basement to provide a lounge for the Alert Flight.
The Alert Armory and Air Police Armory have been combined into one, with a section especially designated for alert equipment. The moving of the Alert Flight made it necessary to change the SOP's and Guard Orders pertaining to alert procedures. Considerable time has been devoted to practicing these new procedures since the move was made.
A new communications system was installed in the Guard Headquarters. The new system was arranged so that one man could run the entire system alone. The telephone switchboard and field phone board were set side by side. The console emergency radio set was placed on top of the field switchboard. At right angle to the switchboard, a desk was placed for use by the radio operator. A table mounted mike was constructed and placed on the desk for use with the primary radio set. The desk also provided working space for the radio operator, and a typewriter for use in typing the Air Police Journal.
PERSONNEL SECURITY DIVISION
Personnel changes in this section during this period were: Gained S/Sgt Joseph R. Redding and M/Sgt Edward L. Miller replaced M/Sgt Arthur P. Harris as NCOIC of the Personnel Security Division, who was transferred PCS. Lost A/2C Thomas A. Maier due to a section change within the squadron.
Also during this period the Personnel Security Office, which comprises the Pass and Badge Office and Photographic Laboratory, initiated and/or accomplished the following:
Personnel Security Office: Processed in 24 officers, 104 airmen and seven civilians. Processed out 23 officers, 149 airmen and eight civilians. Submitted 84 DD Forms 398 (Statement of Personnel History). Received 187 Reports of Investigation to be granted clearances. Granted 172 final clearances. Fifteen personnel not granted clearances due to discharges and transfers. Granted 46 clearances on a local records check (Interim's). Pending clearances at the end of this period are 54. Returned six Reports of Investigation to the Office of Special Investigations in accordance with AFR 205-6. Initiated 135 briefings and debriefed 180 personnel. Processed 205 personnel for DD Forms 2AF (Identification Cards) and 60 personnel for Reserve Identification Cards. Dispatched seven classified messages.
Clearance status for military personnel is as follows during this period:
Final 62 334 396
Interim 2 21 23
Final 2 98 100
Interim 0 22 22
Pass and Badge Office: Laminated and issued 503 AMC Forms 80H (Permanent "A" Area Badges), 452 AMC Forms 80K (Permanent "Q" Area Badges), 191 AMC Forms 80J (Temporary "A" Area Badges), 992 SW Forms 7 (Permanent "A" Area Badges), 868 SW Forms 9 (Permanent "Q" Area Badges) and 54 SW Forms 8 (Temporary "A" Area Badges).
Laminated 225 DD Forms 2AF (Identification Cards), 105 Reserve Identification Cards, 80 DD Forms 528 (Geneva Convention Cards), ten DD Forms 710 (Dependent Card), 55 DD Forms 217 (Release from Active Duty), 175 pocket size Article 31, UCMJ, for the Air Police Squadron, 30 AF Forms 93 (Supply Representative Authorization Card), and 130 Fatigue Passes.
Took photographs and laminated 220 badges for Caswell Air Force Station. Processed and took 204 sets of fingerprints.
During the month of November 1956 the entire station was processed and issued new badges which are listed as SW Forms 7, 8 and 9.
Personnel changes during this period were: Gained A/1C Donald L. Hixson, A/1C Perry J. Boatright and A/3C Paul A. Beaucage. S/Sgt Rufford B. Hobson replaced S/Sgt Carl J. Strawser as NCOIC of Pass and Badge and Sgt Strawser received a permanent change of station. Also lost were: A/1C Perry J. Boatright, A/2C Ransom D. Hyatt and A/1C Arvel Taylor, due to a section change, and A/2C Paul A. Beaucage, who received a permanent change of station.
Base Photographic Laboratory: The following is the amount of work accomplished by this section from 1 July 1956 thru 31 December 1956: 460 feet of 35 mm film processed, 2500 35 mm prints (contact) made, 9,400 "A" Area size prints made, 306 2.5 x 2.5 prints made, 318 sheets of 4 x 5 inch film processed, 568 4 x 5 prints made, 21 5 x 7 inch prints made, 128 8 x 10 inch prints made, 4 8 x 10 inch positives made and 8 20 x 24 inch prints made.
AIR POLICE TRAINING SECTION
As of 31 December 1956, 100 per cent of the Security Squadron required training was accomplished. The on-the-job training system was revised and improved with additions of valid tests and accurate progress reports.
The 77150 OJT Package Course was received and a new course outline and test were accomplished to conform with the Package Course.
3079th Wing Regulation 52-2 was received, which required minor changes in the teaching curriculum. A new indoctrination and familiarization course outline and test was devised and implemented during this period.
Six Air Policemen have attended and graduated from the Loring Air Force Base Prep Academy. Six Air Policemen have also attended and graduated from the 3079th NCO Prep Academy at Fairfield Air Force Station, California.
In September 1956, 1/Lt Charles S. Hunt, Chief of Air Police Training Section, and T/Sgt Joseph Rayer, NCOIC, graduated from the OJT Administrative Supervisors Course conducted at Caribou Air Force Station. Lt Hunt received a promotion to 1/Lt in August 1956.
Personnel changes were: Reassignment of S/Sgt Clarence Swan from Air Police Training to Flight duty and A/2C Thomas A. Maier to the Air Police Training Section from Personnel Security Division.
The Air Police Training Section moved from the "A" Area location in Dormitory #3, into the Communications-Operations building, along with the Air Police Operations Office.
Photos: Air Police Operations Office, Comm Center and Alert Lounge Air Police Training Room in new Com-Ops Bldg
PROPOSED 3RD QUARTER TRAINING ACCOMPLISHMENT
One (1) Hour
Organization of AP Squadron Two (2) Hours
UCMJ One (1) Hour
Courts Martial One (1) Hour
Apprehension and Restraint Two (2) Hours
Aircraft Crash Duties One (1) Hour
Riot Control Three (3) Hours
Confinement Facilities One (1) Hour
Administration One (1) Hour
Duties of Correction Guards One (1) Hour
Retraining One (1) Hour
Air Police Ethics One (1) Hour
Purpose & Principles of AMC Security One (1) Hour
Local Security One (1) Hour
Guard Orders One (1) Hour
Discipline Two (2) Hours
Public Relations Two (2) Hours
One (1) Hour
Motor Vehicles Two (2) Hours
Combat Tactics Two (2) Hours
Traffic Control One (1) Hour
Security Indoctrination Three (3) Hours
Commander's Call Three (3) Hours
Character Guidance Three (3) Hours
Biological Warfare One (1) Hour
Psychological Warfare Two (2) Hours
Basic Military Training Ten (10) Hours
Test One (1) Hour
TOTAL 52 hours
PROPOSED 4TH QUARTER TRAINING ACCOMPLISHMENT
Organization of AP Squadron One (1) Hour
Apprehension and Restraint One (1) Hour
Train Patrol One (1) Hour
Aircraft Crash Duties One (1) Hour
Confinement Facilities One (1) Hour
Administration One (1) Hour
Duties of Correction Guards One (1) Hour
Purpose and Principles of AMC Security One (1) Hour
Local Security One (1)Hour
Guard Orders One (1) Hour
Discipline Two (2) Hours
Public Relations Two (2) Hours
Ground Safety One (1) Hour
Traffic Control One (1) Hour
Combat Tactics Two (2) Hours
Character Guidance Three (3) Hours
Security Indoctrination Three (3) Hours
Three (3) Hours
Psychological Warfare One (1) Hour
Test One (1) Hour
TOTAL 28 Hours
3080th SUPPORT SQUADRON
MATERIEL AND ADMINISTRATION, SPECIAL WEAPONS AND TRANSPORTATION
All functions pertaining to the Technical Order Library were transferred from Station Supply Division to the Directorate of Materiel on 16 July 1956.
A complete inventory of Air Force Class 39D, DOD and SSE property was accomplished on 18 July 1956. Approximately 500,000 units were counted without a major discrepancy and the overall inventory accuracy after recheck was 99.1 per cent. Four civilian spaces were established in Base Spares. On 15 September 1956, the military assumed control of Base Spares receiving complete control of SSE material being turned over from Sandia Corporation. This totalled approximately 3,000 line items.
A total of 1,263 maintenance work orders were processed and completed during the period 1 July 1956 thru 31 December 1956, while 190 major inspections and 363 intermediate inspections were completed during the same period. The operation of vehicles assigned this division totalled to 256,913 miles from 1 July 1956 to 31 December 1956, inclusive. The installation of the twin post vehicle lift was completed in Building 102 (motor pool) and the former vehicle pits filled in. Vehicle repair stalls were designated in place of the production line. All vehicles and equipment were winterized for winter operations during the month of September 1956. In December 1956, 55 vehicles and equipment were declared excess and a program of inspecting, processing and storing these vehicles and equipment was effected pending the receipt of disposition instructions from higher echelon. Three bays located in the new vehicle storage building were made available to this division for the parking of all vehicles.
BUDGET AND ACCOUNTING
The first official overall audit by the Loring Resident Auditor was conducted during July for the Accounting Division since its implementation. The Dollar Cost Consciousness Program was put into effect in accordance with Station Letter 25-1 as of 1 July 1956, and station theater currency issued to each operation section based on the Financial Plan for the first quarter's operation for other operating supplies. The Financial Plan for fiscal year 1957 was approved by the Wing as submitted. Our annual budget authorization is $790,000, an increase of $40,300 over fiscal year 1956. This increase was caused primarily by civilian personnel requirements increasing from 70 to 86 authorizations plus requirements for general service stock fund supply items which are to be reimbursed and were formerly centrally procured. The fiscal year 1958 budget for operations and maintenance was approved as submitted with the exception of Projects CAR 7-57 Pass and Badge addition, and CAR 5-58 Larger Heating Unit "C" Structure. This project will be funded by ALOO. The amount of the fiscal year 1958 budget is $833,400, $43,000 more than fiscal year 1957. This increase is consistent with price changes and civilian personnel wage increases, also an increase in real property maintenance projects. This station received the first quarter allotment of funds for operations and maintenance in the amount of $198,000. Our obligations for the month of July were $52,179.98, leaving a balance o f $145,820.02 for August and September.
The Resident Auditor finished the initial audit of the division 24 August 1956. Since this was the first official overall audit and covered two fiscal years, there were many minor discrepancies noted. Most of the discrepancies were corrected either on the spot, or prior to the end of August 1956. Our obligations at the end of August were $99,664.99, leaving a balance of $98,335.01 for the balance of the first quarter,
During October, the budget division was completing the first quarter revision to the financial plan which was due in higher headquarters 10 October 1956. No increase was requested in the annual budget authorization. Increases required were offset by decreases in other categories of expense. Mr. McNulty, Budget and Accounting Officer, departed on TDY to 3079th Wing Headquarters 9 October to discuss and justify the first quarter revision to the financial plan. The revision was accepted as submitted. The theater currency was reconciled for the first quarter's operations. It was noted that the system was beginning to show results of economy; however, it was still too early to ascertain a complete picture. It was felt that at the end of the second quarter results would be more enlightening. Allotment of operations and maintenance funds were received for the second quarters in the amount of $202,000, making our total allotment $400,000 for the first and second quarter of the fiscal year. Our obligations at the end of October were $216,832.40, leaving a balance of $161,185.60 for November and December. Obligations at the end of November were $271,235.42, leaving a balance of $128,764.58 for December.
The second half of the year 1956 found the Communications Division busily engaged in the completion of two projects carried over from the last Unit History Report. The first and foremost of these projects was the Rhombic Antenna, (Communications Electronic Scheme number CE 56- AMC-CAR-AMCMA-53-PP). The installation of this antenna system started on 26 April 1956 with the Dole Company of Bangor, Maine, as contractors and Mr. Richard McBroom of Middletown Air Materiel Area being assigned as consultant engineer. This project was completed on 20 July 1956 and accepted on 21 July 1956 by Lt Colonel Joseph E. Edwards, Commander, 3080th Aviation Depot Group, and Captain David W. Hancock, Communications Officer, 3080th Support Squadron. Upon the completion of this antenna, the AN/GRC-26 radio set was moved from its former location in the station service area to the base of the antenna. An impedance matching problem between the transmitter output and the antenna impedance was overcome by changing the primary side of the loading coils and extending the feeder line of the antenna direct to the transmitter. This changed the output impedance of the transmitter from its normal 72 ohms to 600, thus matching the dispensation of the antenna. Increased operational efficiency and maximum plate powers were obtained thru this modification.
The base communication security system has passed thru the modernization phase with a complete revamp of equipment and quantity. This modernization included the separation of this facility into two packages under program communication facility 6402 and 6403. Facility 6402 and 6403 operational plan and abbreviated scheme, were submitted 24 October 1956 by this division. Final scheme approval was granted 4 December 1956 by Headquarters, Air Materiel Command. Our combined capability thru these two facilities shall be four fixed station sets and 27 two-way mobile sets. Although these facilities have been approved, the equipment has not been received from Rome Air Force Depot. Therefore, a delay on activation date of 1 January 1957 is anticipated. Installation of these mobile sets will be made by personnel of the Radio Maintenance Shop, but the-fixed station sets must be installed by a crew from Rome. The procurement of test equipment for these facilities has been accomplished with final shipment expected in February 1957. Stock level of expendable and non-expendable parts is in readiness for conversion and frequency crystals were received on 6 December 1956.
The Communications Office moved from its old location to Room #109 in the new Communications-Operations Building on 27 November 1956. This move was accomplished with a minimum of confusion until such time as the temporary telephone cable supplying the building failed. A new 11 pair cable was borrowed from the adjacent base and communications was restored in two days.
A joint communications conference was held at this station on 21 and 22 August 1956, for the purpose of an on-site review of plans, specifications, project data and/or requirements for implementing and coordinating of communication electronic scheme numbers CE 56-AMC-CAR-AMCMA-70-IP and CE 56-AMC-CAR-AMCMA-77-OP. At this conference it was decided that it would be necessary to revise the engineering and installation contracts for supporting structures and cable requirements on these schemes. These revisions on supporting structures were furnished the Installation Engineer by Mr. Judy. Cable requirements were resurveyed and revision number 77A-0P was added to Scheme CE 56-AMC-CAR-AMCMA-77-0P. The revised schedule remained intact thru such items as completion of the Communications-Operations Building and the starting of the Stromberg-Carlson installation crew. However, date slippage became quite evident when it was determined that outside cable was not available in quantities required to complete the outside plant. Even with the revised schedule the alarm system contractor started on schedule. However, progress was at a stand still after two weeks without outside cable. These delays created a requirement for higher priority on supplies so it was determined the "Blue Streak" action would be necessary. This high priority accomplished the desired results with sufficient cable being available at this station by 21 November 1956, to complete the outside plant. Additional time delay is now being encountered on obtaining a cable crew to install this cable and some substandard installation of the Central Office equipment by the Stromberg-Carlson crew.
The Government Security Communication System facility 0014 has undergone extensive modification to conform with the equipment changes in our base telephone central office equipment. Prior to this conversion the Security Communication System consisted of the night attendance switchboard, cabinet and affiliated equipment from our North Electric number 200A. central office set. The new Stromberg-Carlson X-Y dial system does not include these additional pieces of equipment. Therefore, to maintain an efficient security system independent from the base telephone service, a new magneto live net was established. Equipment for this new system includes one switchboard BD-96, and two switchboards BD-72 with full cross patch capabilities into base telephone system. The station installation shop built weatherproof covers for all outside plug-in connectors, thereby eliminating the necessity of leaving the handsets on outside post reporting positions. This entire conversion has released considerable equipment back into supply channels, affords greater protection than the present equipment, and provides a much simpler, more efficient and faster security communication system.
During the period our division engaged in one major communication exercise. Although traffic load increased considerably during this period in station handling, time was held to an average 36 minutes.
This average was increased by a seven hour circuit failure on a commercial circuit which brought the circuit efficiency down to 96.2 per cent. The over-assignment of precedence on many messages created backlogs in switching centers that precluded a realistic picture from Communications Center personnel.
Personnel changes in the division have been numerous. However, section chiefs have remained the same except for the departure of M/Sgt Paul Erickson who departed this station 7 December 1956 for Tinker Air Force Base. Sgt Erickson had been very instrumental in reorganizing the local MARS station and establishing schedule contacts. Further personnel changes that crippled our MARS station was the departure of A/2C John E. Johnson to Iceland. Although his assignment was to the radio maintenance shop his interest in the over-all program was so keen that he voluntarily accepted the full load of MARS equipment maintenance.
The primary change manpower wise in this division was made on 27 August 1956, when WO-W1 Donald D. Ferguson reported in for duty as Wire Maintenance Supervisor. His arrival was appropriately timed to assist in the installation of the new Stromberg-Carlson central office, outside plant expansion, and supporting structures.
On 1 July 1956 the station currency was put into effect. Each division or office is required to pay over the counter with this currency for expendable supplies that are procured with station funds. It has been proven that this system has made each individual more dollar conscious thru careful buying, therefore not overstocking.
The Supply "N" Type Account went into effect on 1 July 1956. This has been proven to be very effective in expediting UAL property, and other operating supplies which are peculiar to this station, inasmuch as we can requisition direct to appropriate Air Force, Army and GSA Depots.
During the month of September, the division reorganized into three separate sections, with each section headed by a Non-Commissioned Officer; i. e., T/Sgt J. B. Roberson, Administrative and Records Section; T/Sgt George W. Beasley, Warehouse Section; S/Sgt Alexander Roy, Organizational and Personal Equipment Section, and M/Sgt C. Z. Melton as Non-Commissioned Officer-in-Charge and Chief Inspector of Station Supply.
On 19 November the Station Supply Officer, NCOIC and the Administrative and Records Section moved from the warehouse into the offices in Building #101 vacated by Installations Engineering Section. This move provided the warehouse section with more operating space, and at the same time gave the Administrative and Records Section more space and a quieter place to work, also provided the Supply Officer and NCOIC with a separate office.
During the week of 10 September 1956, this division was inspected by a member of the Inspection Team from Headquarters AMC. The over-all rating was excellent and noted discrepancies were corrected.
During this reporting period, one contract was initiated and awarded, and two projects are awaiting contract bids. Contract prices for these projects are listed in Attachment #1. Plans and specifications for seven projects are still under development. However, the contract prices and completion percentage are indicated in Attachment #1.
On 1 October 1956, Commander Arthur C. Neuman, Operations Chief of the Mid-West Engineers, Kansas, arrived at this station to inspect five new buildings; namely, Fire Station, "S" Structure, MHE Building, Handling, and Communications-Operations Building. Inspections were also performed on 18 dispersal pads.
Construction progress during this reporting period is indicated on the attached photographs. (Ed. Note: Photos converted to PDF.)
PHOTOS: MHE Building Heated Motor Pool Building Fire Station Communications-Operations Building 11 July and 30 October 1956
LIST OF CONTRACTS
3080TH OPERATIONS SQUADRON
Due to an unstable personnel status, command of the organization changed several times during the past six months. Persons holding the position of Commander were Major Michael Bussone, 26 June 1956 to 7 August 1956, transferred PCS; Major Fred P. Leonard, 7 August 1956 to 17 August 1956, went TDY; Major James A. Gardner, 17 August 1956 to 27 August 1956, relieved; Major Fred P. Leonard, 27 August 1956 to 29 August 1956, returned from TDY; Major John C. Topping, 29 August 1956 to present.
During the period 1 July 1956 to 31 December 1956, the organization operated and planned for eventual operation as authorized in proposed UMD of July 1956 and revised UMD of 30 November 1956. Three major organizational changes have taken place during the period of this report:
The management of the combined plant activities now vested in the newly created Assembly Division Chief who answers directly to the Squadron Commander. The plant chiefs are immediately subordinate to the Assembly Division Chief.
Technical repair section has been placed under the Chief, Assembly Division as a personal staff agency. This was necessary because of the excessive span of control in both distance and time between the elements of the Operations Office.
The Deputy Commander position was eliminated. Although this change has placed more duties upon personnel located in the squadron headquarters, it has resulted in more direct and positive control by the Commander.
This squadron has experienced an overage of technical personnel and a shortage of administrative personnel. Projected strength by retainability indicated on 31 December 1956 that UMD strength of 19 officers and warrant officers and approximately 94 airmen would be realistic on 1 July 1957.
SIGNIFICANT OPERATIONAL ACTIVITIES
During the period of this report, the 3080th Operations Squadron participated in several special missions. These include:
Operation LAST CHANCE was effected on 20 July 1956. This operation was held in conjunction with a nationwide air defense test known as Operation GAS HOUSE.
On 15 August 1956, Caribou Air Force Station Operations Order 9-56 was implemented for the purpose of testing technical proficiency. This was a training exercise.
The Annual General Inspection took place during the period 12 to 16 September 1956.
On 25 September 1956, Operation INK WELL was implemented by AMC Operations Order 135-56 and CAFS Operations Order 11-56. This operation involved the receipt and shipment of weapons and components by air transportation.
A training exercise was performed on 3 and 4 October 1956 for the benefit of visitors from the Tactical Air Command. This demonstration was chiefly a type I and handling operation.
A joint AMC-SAC readiness exercise was conducted on 9 October 1956 supporting a walk-thru of the 42D Bomb Wing EWP.
42D Bomb Wing Operation FUR COLLAR was conducted on 6 November 1956. Operation FUR COLLAR for December 1956 was cancelled by the Commander, 45th Air Division. Operation FUR COLLAR is a walk-thru EWP practice using AEC released W/R materiel.
On 7 November 1956 this organization changed from an immediate alert status to a fire station like stand-by alert status, a state of increased readiness. This increased readiness was caused by the tense international situation and SAC's correspondingly closer alert precautions. This stand-by status continued thru 30 November 1956.
As a result of numerous minor discrepancies being listed in the AMC Annual Inspection report, this organization took prompt and extensive remedial action as follows:
Adherence to technical orders became Point I of our program of objectives.
All check lists were reviewed and revised to prevent misunderstanding and were revised to better suit the changing skill level of the workers.
A standardization crew was established to review crew procedures. This resulted in the development of plateau check lists that have become a valuable management tool. A program of crew stabilization whereby crew supervisors have more permanent crews was established.
This provided a better evaluation of both supervisors and their workers. Due to heavy workload the standardization crew work was suspended in December 1956.
A UR monitor system was established to assist personnel in preparing UR's and to expedite UR action. The UR submission rate has doubled since the inception of this program in December 1956.
To provide SAC combat crews with a better understanding of the functions of the Aviation Depot Group supporting the atomic forces, a course was planned and presented to selected officers of Loring AFB. This course was approved jointly by the Commander, 45th Air Division, and the Commander, 3079th Aviation Depot Wing (AMC). The course included a motor tour of the station facilities, a lecture tour of a static display of training units, a MK17 breakout demonstration and a short visit to the plant area where participants watched daily work in progress. The first course was conducted in 2 November 1956 and the second one on 7 December 1956. General William K. Martin, Commander, 45th Air Division, commented favorably on this program.
On 6 November 1956, Quality Assurance (Sandia Corp) personnel moved to their new facilities in the "S" Structure. With this move Plant II acquired the vacated Bay #2, the Butler Building in back of Plant II, and the old Calibration Laboratory in Plant I. The advantages are listed as follows:
The plant space in Plant II was doubled.
The Butler Building provided close storage for handling equipment soon to be needed in plant operations.
The technical repair function moved from its crowded quarters to the old Calibration Lab where sufficient space is available.
In late November space was made available in the new MHE Building to the Handling Division. Six stalls in the building are used for handling equipment resulting in increased cold weather reliability.
It also provided quarters for off base handling personnel during periods of increased readiness.
Topping presented a five point program of objectives at his first Commander's
Call in September 1956. These objectives were clearly defined and each
member of the organization was briefed on their provisions and intent.
Each officer and airman was furnished a copy of the program and instructed to
compile ways in which these objectives could be met.
Point I - A better quality product thru closer attention to technical orders, continuous training and management and review of current procedures.
Point II - Increased NCO responsibilities.
Point III - Self-improvement.
Point IV - Area and facilities improvement.
Point V - Safer habits.
The five point program is applicable thru FY 58. A check list of items of improvement was established and was posted in accordance with daily progress.
Our five point program calls for improving our area and facilities thru our own efforts. We accomplished the following:
Rebuilt and refinished an abused pool table to a like new condition.
Developed plans for two clothing drying rooms to be built in the barracks by modifying existing storage space.
Purchased a washing machine for the barracks from unit fund sources.
General improvement in maintenance of barracks rooms and community areas.
Placed the training area in Building 377 in use. This space was used for showing training films, assembly and maintenance training
and was used during SAC Orientation Course for static displays. Use of this building has negated loss of plant time for those special
training programs conducted there.