The following accounts of the Operational Activities of the Food Service Division, 3084th Support Squadron, 3084th Aviation Depot Group, Stony Brook Air Force Station are abstracted from the declassified Historical Reports of that Group from 1 Jan 1956 to 31 December 1959.

FOOD SERVICE DIVISION - OPERATIONAL ACTIVITIES

(1 Jan - 30 June 1956)

                        With one and a half (1-1/2) years of operation as an Airman's and Officer's Field Ration Mess behind it, this activity very rarely deviated from the routine business of pleasing personnel's palates. The weekly influx of transient LSS crews with their constantly erratic arrivals and subsequent after meal hour feeding did constitute a variation from normal operating procedures. However, this recurring feeding of from fifteen (15) to thirty (30) people became a significant portion of this activity's weekly functions. Official and unofficial dinners and parties invariably taxed the Food Service Officer's and his supervisor's gourmet knowledge.

 

            During the period of this report, there were no significant changes in food service equipment. In May 1956, a large, accordion-type folding partition was installed in the Main Dining Hall, thereby separating the Airmen's and NCO's Dining Areas. This increased the prestige of the NCO's, and allowed them greater relaxation from their responsibilities.

            Eight (8) airmen, on loan from other Support Squadron activities at the beginning of this period, were returned to their primary duties in February 1956, as permanent Food Service personnel reported for duty. Fluctuation in assigned strength since February 1956 was normal.

(1 July - 31 December 1956)

            With over two (2) years of operation as an Airman's and Officer's Field Ration Mess behind it, this activity very rarely deviated from the routine business of pleasing personnel's palates. The weekly influx of transient LSS crews with their constantly erratic arrivals and subsequent after meal hour feeding did constitute a variation from normal operating procedures. However, this recurring feeding of from fifteen (15) to thirty (30) people became a significant portion of this activity's functions. Official and unofficial dinners and parties invariably taxed the Food Service Officer's and his supervisor's gourmet knowledge.

            During the period of this report, there were no significant changes in food service equipment, other than the installation of an ice-making machine on 15 November 1956, just in time for use with the Thanksgiving Meal, for chilled juices, jellies and other uses.

            The Thanksgiving Meal was apparently well received, as a total of six hundred fifty-one (651) persons dined at the Dining Hall for the noon meal on Thanksgiving Day. Breakdown was as follows:

            Enlisted Men (Separate Rations)            91
            Assigned Officers and Civilians             44
            Dependents and Guests                       239
                Total Separate Rations                    374
            Enlisted Men (Not Separate Rations)    277
                Total Fed                                        651    

(1 Jan - 30 June 1957)

            With over three years of operation as an Airmen's and Officer's Field Ration Dining Hail behind it, this activity very rarely deviated from the routine business or pleasing personnel palates.  The weekly influx of transient LSS crews with their constantly erratic arrivals and subsequent after-meal-hour feeding aid constitute a variation from normal operating procedures.  However, this recurring feeding of from fifteen to thirty people became a significant portion of this activity's functions. 0fficial unofficial dinners and Parties invariably taxed the Food Service Officer's and his supervisor's gourmet knowledge. 

            During the period of this report, there were no significant changes in Food Service Equipment.

            During the period 26 January - 1 February 1957 a Management Improvement Review team from 3079th Aviation Depot Wing reviewed the division operation.  The report snowed no discrepancies and a rating of "satisfactory" was achieved.

            On 1 February 1957 a chit system was put into effect in the dining hall to try and obtain a more accurate headcount. A survey of approximately two weeks that ended 15 February 1957 proved the new chit system to be very satisfactory.

            On 4 March 1957 a report of the annual audit was received by this division. The report showed no discrepancies and no recommendations for improvements.

            On 31 May 1957 an inspection in accordance with AFR 121-13 was completed by Captain Cornwell from the Station Inspector's Office. The inspection revealed no deficiencies.

EVALUATION

            During the period of this report no major problems were encountered by this division as evidenced by the results of the inspections conducted during this period, all of which showed no discrepancies and no recommendations for improvements.  The day-to-day operation of the personnel involved is the best proof of the efficiency of the Food Service Division.

(1 July - 31 December 1957)

            With over three and one-half years of operation as an Airmen's and Officers' Field Ration Dining Hall, this activity very rarely deviated from the routine business of pleasing personnel palates.  The weekly influx of transient LSS crews with their uncertain arrivals after normal meal hour feeding did result in deviations from the normal operating routine.  However, this frequent feeding of 15 to 30 people has become a significant part of this activity's functions.  Official and unofficial dinners and parties put to task the Food Service Officer and his supervisor's gourmet knowledge; however, these functions were taken care of in the usual well-organized manner.

            During the period of this report there were no significant changes in the Food service equipment.

            The Chit System that had been in effect since 4 February 1957 was discontinued on 14 October 1957, and although this system did obtain a more accurate headcount, it did not, in its entirety, comply with the provisions of AFR 146-6 and AFR 146-6A as amended.

            On 4 July 1957 the first dinner meal was served to 260 people at the grand opening of the Otis Lake Recreational Area.

            On 17 September 1957, painting of the interior of the dining hall and kitchen was started.  This project was completed on 4 October 1957.

EVALUATION

            During the period of this report, no major problems were encountered by this division.  The results of the inspections conducted during this period showed no discrepancies and made no recommendations for improvement.  This is no doubt one of the finest and best managed Food Service Operations in the Air Force.

 

(1 Jan - 30 June 1958)

            The weekly influx of transient LSS (Logistical Service Squadron) crews with their constantly erratic arrivals and subsequent after meal hour feeding constituted a variation from normal operating procedures. During the period of this report there were no changes in Food Service equipment.

            On 31 January 1958, a formal inspection of this Division was conducted by M/Sgt James V. Cloninger from Services Branch, Hq. AMC to evaluate this Dining Hall for competition in the Hennessey Trophy Award.  Results of this inspection were "satisfactory."

            On 7 May 1958, Warrant Officer, W1 John J. Daily was promoted to Chief Warrant Officer, W2 effective 7 May 1958.