PLANT 2 (or B)
Plant 2 was designed for the maintenance and inspection of thermonuclear weapons, initially the MK17 and similar weapons. Plant 2 contained very high tonnage capacity cranes in order to lift and move the MK17, which weighed in at about 21 tons. It was not until the advent of the smaller, lighter thermonuclear weapons that Plant 1 began to be utilized for both types of weapons. This occurred in about the 1958-1959 period. Unlike Plant 1, Plant 2 was only one contiguous area.
(Click on photos below to enlarge.)
RETURN TO HOME PAGE GO TO PLANT 1