(The following information is abstracted from the declassified Historical Reports of the 3084th Aviation Depot Group from 1 Jan 1956 to 31 Dec 1959.)
 

TRANSPORTATION DIVISION - OPERATIONAL ACTIVITIES

(1 Jan - 30 June 1956)

            Continued review of the requirements established by the Group mission, and review by higher headquarters caused vehicle authorizations to fluctuate considerably during this period.  The general trend, however, was to cut down considerably on the number of vehicles authorized and on hand at Stony Brook AFS.

            During this period, vehicles turned in to Westover AFB Supply as excess or shipped to other Air Force Installations included the following:

            Two (2) 25 ft flat bed trailers, two (2) 1-1/2 ton cargo trailers, two (2) 1-1/2 ton Stake trucks, two (2) 4,000 lb forklifts, fifteen (15) 1/2 ton pick-up trucks, two (2) 6,000 pound forklifts, one (1) road roller, one (1) tank car heater, one (1) 5-ton dump truck, one (1) thirty-seven (37) passenger bus.

           Vehicle receipts during this period included several Ross Straddle Carriers and a push-type road sweeper.  A 29-passenger bus was also received, which made a total of five (5) 29-passenger busses in service at Stony Brook AFS.  In addition to the above, a Communications Maintenance Truck was received in the middle of June 1956.

            P-3 Bomb Trailers and the security covers for them were special projects for modification during period.  Thirty-seven (37) Trailers were involved in this project, included only a minor change to the security cover, but which was beyond the capability of this Station, due to the sewing required on the corners of the cover. On 1 February 1956, the Westover AFB Fabric Shop started work on the covers on a day-to-day basis.  The daily basis was established so that the Operations Squadron could get maximum utilization from the trailers they had.  Covers were taken to WAFB in the morning and picked up that evening.  The covers were completed within thirty-seven (37) days, which was considered excellent support.  While the covers were undergoing modification, the Transportation Division was repainting the trailer, verifying maintenance records and re-stenciling the trailer with the Registration Number.  When the covers were returned, the trailers were returned to Plant #1, Operations Squadron, for their use.

            During this period, there were also twenty-seven (27) N-1 bomb trailers modified to MF-4 bomb trailers. The trailers were repainted, re-stenciled and records checked. This was an extended project, due primarily to the inability of Operations Squadron to produce the trailers for the Transportation Division. The units stored therein were called out on a scheduled basis by the Custodian, and it was difficult to get any concentrated effort to get the trailer modification under way. The project called for modification of thirty-eight (38) trailers, and was 71% complete at the end of the period with the completion target date set at approximately 1 August 1956.

            Several physical changes were made in the Transportation Division during this period to improve Management Control.  Some of the improvements were to move the Vehicle Production Control Section Office from the Dispatch Office to the Maintenance Shop in January 1956, installation of security screening for the Supply Office in March 1956, designation of the Maintenance Shop as a "No Smoking Area" and construction of a partition in the Transportation Office to make room for another work area.

            Bus Service on a scheduled shuttle system between Stony Brook AFS and Westover was initiated on 11 April 1956.  By daily review of trip tickets and passenger count, it was found that an average trip carried only an average of .43 passengers, over a period of six (6) weeks.  On 25 May 1956, the bus service was discontinued, and "taxi" service was initiated.  Results were satisfactory.

            The vehicle fleet averaged 38,189 miles per month during a three (3) months' check during this period, and averaged 5,812 gallons of gasoline consumed per month.  This compares favorably with the average during the previous reporting period of only 36,000 miles per month, using 6,500 gallons of gasoline.  It was apparent that regular, efficient maintenance on vehicles was responsible for saving of money in gasoline consumption during this reporting period.

            The Vehicle Audit List, RCS: 3-AF-B(?)27, was accomplished by this station and a representative of the Resident Auditor, from Westover AFB, on 29 February 1956.  The list was found to be accurate, was noted and forwarded to Hq, 3079th ADW on 2 March 1956.

            On 16 April 1956, a survey was made of vehicles requiring upholstery repair.  Twenty-three (23) vehicles were found to be in need of some repair on seats and upholstery.  Action was taken on 30 April 1956 to get a contract for such repair, at an estimated cost of $700.  The contract was received from Westover AFB Purchasing and Contracting Office on 18 May 1956.  By 21 May 1956, three (3) vehicles had been completed, and the project was completed on 27 June 1956.

            T SGT PAUL BUDD and M SGT WALTER GERBER attended the SAC Management Course conducted at Westover AFB in April and May of 1956. Both completed the course on 25 May 1956.

            In a USAF Motor Vehicle Roadeo held at Westover AFB on 25 June 1956, five (5) of six (6) winners from the 3084th were members of the 3084th Support Squadron. It was readily apparent that the 3084th ADG vehicles were well maintained, and well operated.  It was gratifying to the entire Group that the drivers did so well in the Roadeo.  Driver training in the 3084th has progressed considerably since the organization activated, and at the time of this report, approximately four hundred and fifty (450) personnel assigned to this station possessed an operator permit.

(1 July - 31 December 1956)

            Continued review of the requirements established by the Group mission, and review by higher headquarters caused vehicle authorizations to fluctuate considerably during this period.  The general trend, however, was to cut down considerably on the number of vehicles authorized and on hand at Stony Brook AFS.

            During this period, vehicles turned in to Westover AFB Supply as excess, or shipped to other Air Force Installations included the following:

Four (4) 50,000 lb straddle carriers, two (2) Ford 1-1/2 ton stake trucks, one (1) 25-ft semi-trailer, one (1) truck refuse, World War II type, three (3) 2,000 lb electric tugs, two (2) 16,000 lb Yale electric platform lifts, one (1) 15,000 lb gas-fired forklift, one (1) 3,500 lb gas-fired forklift, two (2) 5-ton dump trucks, three (3) 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks, one (1) kettle, asphalt, two (2) 2,000 lb electric forklifts, one (1) 1/2 ton pick-up truck, one (1) 2-1/2 ton GMC load packer, four (4) 2-1/2 ton 6x6 trucks, two (2) 25-ft bed trailers, two (2) 1-1/2 ton cargo trailers, two (2) 1-1/2 ton stake trucks, two (2) 4,000 forklifts, fifteen (15) 1/2 ton pick-up trucks, two (2) 6,000 lb forklifts, one (1) road roller, one (1) tank car heater, one (1) 5-ton dump truck, one (1) 37-passenger bus.

            Vehicle receipts during this period included: One (1) Chevrolet Station Wagon, one (1) 1953 model IBC 5-ton Refuse Truck, three (3) 4,000 lb Electric Tugs, four (4) 30,000 lb Straddle Carriers.

            A survey was made in July 1956 to ascertain the number of pick-up trucks requiring repairs to the truck bed.  It was determined that ten (10) required work, and contract maintenance was used to get them repaired.

            S Sgt James Pearsall won third place in the AMC area finals, USAF Motor Vehicle Roadeo, in the 29-passenger bus class, held at Olmsted Air Force Base, Middletown, Pennsylvania, in August 1956,

            In early December, fifty-five (55) bomb trailers were received for inspection and subsequent placement in condition to use. These trailers were in a transit status, actually shipped from the depots involved to two (2) SAC bases. The trailers were incomplete, unserviceable and badly in need of Technical Order Compliance (TOC). A crash program was initiated to get TOC performed to convert trailers from N-1 to MF-4 trailers in time for reshipment scheduled for 20 December 1956.  Work was finished on 13 December 1956, but as of the end of this period, shipment had been delayed until approximately 13 January 1957. The trailers were then used during Operation "Red House".

            A new heated vehicle storage building was nearing completion at the end of this period. The new "Motor Pool" Building and fenced-in area was located outside the Stony Brook AFS Administrative Area on Westover AFB property.  Plans were finalized for use of this building as soon as completed, to protect vehicles from the below zero weather expected in January.  It was expected the building would be available for use in early January 1957.

(1 Jan - 30 June 1957)

            Group operational exercises during the past six months were supported with no major vehicle discrepancies reported.

            The Motor Pool Section of the Transportation Division was moved to Building 211, Material Handling Equipment, on 12 January 1957. From this date the operations of the Motor Pool could be conducted in heated storage.

            Analysis of operating records revealed the following statistics as average for one month of operation of the Transportation Division:

                        Miles Operated Per Month                        39,000
                        Gallons of Gas Consumed Per Month            6,600
                        Vehicle Orders Completed per Month               80
                        Cost of Parts and Supplies Per Month        $1,500.00

            The heated vehicle wash rack for the Station Motor Pool is now in the process of being built. The estimated completion rate is some time in July.  This rack will help maintain high standards of vehicle and equipment cleanliness during the periods of cold weather.

            Government vehicle operator training classes were initiated by the Transportation Division 18 February 1957, and one airman appointed as instructor.  This organization intends to train and license personnel for vehicle and equipment operation, as required.

            Service Station type inspection and maintenance was initiated by the Maintenance Section of the Transportation Division as required under TO 00-2OP-5 [Ed.: uncertain number].  No problems were encountered.

EVALUATION

            In May 1957 twelve vehicle operators and dispatching personnel were authorized under the Transportation Division.  The Motor Pool Section is required to have one dispatcher and one vehicle operator on duty around the clock.  To provide this coverage, five dispatchers and
five vehicle operators are required with one supervisor and one vehicle operator to perform duty as Driver Training Instructor.  Due to shortage of personnel in the Motor Pool Section it has become necessary to place only one man on night duty. This requires three men to cover night duty and week-end shifts, which has worked out satisfactorily to date due to the lighter workload of the night shift.  To place a day man on night duty would leave only two men on the day shift.  The day shift must accomplish reports, master sheets, and trip tickets, and has a much heavier workload.  Borrowing a man to cover for another from shift to shift is simply letting the work slip in one of the two places.  To alleviate this situation all work that cannot be accomplished within a reasonable amount of time is let out on contract.  Thus far this system has worked satisfactorily.

(1 July - 31 December 1957)

            Analysis of operating records revealed the following statistics as average for one month of operation of the Transportation Division:

                        Miles Operated per Month                         47,160 miles
                        Gallons of Gas Consumed per Month             6,700 Gallons
                        Vehicle Work Orders Completed per month         80
                        Cost of Parts and Supplies per Month         $1,400.
                        (Exclusive of Field and/or Contract Maintenance)

            These operating figures indicated an average increase of 10,000 miles per month covered by the vehicle fleet.

            The Transportation Division supported operational exercises of the 3064th Aviation Depot Group in July, August, September, and December of 1957, with no major discrepancies reported on vehicles or equipment utilized in direct support of the Station's primary mission.

            During the period 1 October through 17 December 1957, personnel assigned to the Motor Pool Branch, Transportation Division, were placed on extended duty shifts in support of operations "Shoelace," "Gangway," "Gatepost," and "Jaybird."  Longer work shifts were made necessary because of the aircraft crew transportation requirement between this Station and Westover Air Force Base.  The average work week for motor pool personnel was raised from 40 to an estimated 50 hours during this period. On 16 August 1957, the compulsory Driver Improvement Course was initiated in the Station driver training school.  This course was required under the provisions of AFR 32-17, dated 21 June 1957. Instruction in good driving practices for airmen under 25 years of age was added to the duties of the Motor Pool Branch driver training instructor.

            An enclosed and heated vehicle washrack was constructed adjacent to the vehicle maintenance shop.  Earlier estimates indicated this facility would be completed in September 1957. However, the actual date this facility was turned over to the Transportation Division for use was 13 December 1957.  Use of the new washrack alleviates the problem of having to clean vehicles outdoors during periods of freezing temperatures prior to maintenance processing.

            On 5 November 1957 arrangements were completed for Westover Air Force Base (SAC) activities to assume responsibility for contract maintenance of vehicles end equipment assigned to this organization.

EVALUATION

            On 12 January 1957 the Motor Pool Section of the Transportation Division began operating from a heated storage building (building 211).  Because of fuel costs encountered in heating the vehicle parking portion of this building, a decision was made not to heat the vehicle parking area this winter.  This program has worked successfully resulting in considerable savings in fuel.  However, provisions have been made to heat the vehicle parking portion of the building in the event extremely low temperatures are anticipated and also when low temperatures are forecast for two or more days.

            A problem in the Vehicle Maintenance Section was created by the institution of Service Station type inspection and maintenance (T.O. 00-20B-5) and aggravated by a shortage of vehicle maintenance personnel.  This division was authorized 16 maintenance personnel.  Of the 16, 3 airmen are assigned as Shop Supervisor, Vehicle Inspector, and Production Control Clerk respectively.  The assignment of 2 additional airmen to service station duty reduced the number available for shop duty to 12.  This reduction of actual shop strength was aggravated by assigned strength dropping to 12, thus leaving 7 available for actual shop duty.  Since the service station area is immediately adjacent to the vehicle maintenance shop, the following program will be placed in effect in January 1958 to attempt to reduce the problem.  Two additional outside doors will be installed in the maintenance shop building, and the present office space will be rearranged so that it will be feasible to assign the maintenance shoe foreman as Service Station Manager.  Further, the vehicle inspector will operate the service station, at the same time utilizing this area to inspect vehicles before and after maintenance has been performed.  Because of the good location of facilities and the relatively small size of the vehicle fleet, it is anticipated that this reorganization will result in a gain of at least one, and perhaps two airmen for shop duty.

(1 Jan - 30 June 1958)

            Operating records of the Transportation Division reflect the following statistics as average for one (1) month of operation:

                        Miles Operated                             45,578 miles
                        Gasoline Consumed                         6,600 gallons
                        Cost of Vehicle Parts and Supplies    $1,542.00
                         (Exclusive of Contract Maintenance)

            The vehicular fleet continued to be reduced in size as reflected in previous historical reports. The fleet was reduced from 222 to 217 units with nine (9) additional units placed in excess status and awaiting disposition as of 30 June 1958.

            The Transportation Division supported operational exercises of the 3084th Aviation Depot Group during this reporting period with no operational breakdown reported on vehicles or equipment utilized in direct support of the Station's primary mission.

            Transportation of aircrews between this Station and Westover Air Force Base became an established portion of the duty accomplished by the Motor Pool Branch.